Sunday, January 31, 2010

10 Tips For Saving More at the Grocery Store: 10 Photos

SavvySugar gives advice on how you can Save More at the Grocery Store.

Personally, I've found that the following methods work:
  1. Making a list (and sticking to it)
  2. Creating a budget
  3. Buying only what you need (and not what you want)
  4. Calculating costs as you shop

The method that has worked best for me is #4. I use my cell phone's calculator application and enter in the price of each item as I put it into the grocery cart. By keeping a running tally of how much I've spent helps keep me on track with my budget and ensures that I'm only buying what I need. This method has defintely worked many times for me in the past year. A few months ago, I gave myself the challenge to spend only $20 on groceries at Super Walmart. I was able to buy the bare minumum - some basic things that I needed - for $21 and some change. Not bad, huh?

How do you save money at the grocery store?

1 comment:

  1. How do you save money at the grocery store?

    ACK! I wish I was better at this. Truthfully I am perfectly happy to spend a little more for the things I want at the grocery store, and sacrifice a little more elsewhere.

    However, when I really took the time to look at the Whole Foods coupons, I realized I could save a lot more money than I thought. So, my next trip will be a little more planned with WF coupons as well as any manufacturers coupons I can find or print.

    Eating organic/whole/natural I've found that there are not as many coupons as you will find for the mainstream name brand products, but they are out there. I've joined some couponing websites, and I do my searches and find coupons on the internet. Also, I've written the companies of some of the organic brands I like to ask them if they published coupons, and often they send me a newsletter with coupons and sometimes even for FREE items!

    I really need to get better at couponing.

    ReplyDelete