Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Twist on New Year's Resolutions

January 1 marked the beginning of a new year. But it was also the beginning of a new decade, a new month, a new week and a new day!

On New Year's Day, many of us make resolutions - usually a laundry list of impossible goals we plan to achieve in the coming year, such as working out, saving more money, etc. I say let's toss out those New Year's resolutions and make New Month resolutions instead!

By creating resolutions each month, we're more likely to achieve our goals, even if we repeat the same goal month after month. The shortened time frame (30 days instead of 365 days) helps because it allows you to achieve short term goals that may be pieces of a larger goal. For instance, instead of making weight loss your New Year's resolution, why not focus on adding more fresh produce to your diet in month one, walking for 20 minutes each day in month two, and so on and so forth.

One of my lofty resolutions for the year is to take better care of my body. So in January, my goal is to get a health assessment/screening and/or a physical. (I've been putting off a cholesterol test for months!) Once I know what kind of shape I'm in, I'll tackle different goals each month that will hopefully lead me to optimal health! (By the way, I'm adding "saving myself" as one of the focuses of this blog...I need to get in shape!)

***UPDATE 1/16/09***
I finally took my cholestorol test. The results? My cholestorol is low, and I have a low risk of getting heart disease. Woo-Hoo! :)
*** END UPDATE***


So....

What's your New Month's Resolution?

No comments:

Post a Comment