Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Bye Bye, Skippy!

Right now I'm on a kick to make my pantry plastic free, one glass jar at a time.

Many of the grocery items we buy are packaged in plastic. Sure, some of this plastic is recyclable, but why not just avoid plastic packaging in the first place?

As I run out of particular items - honey, ketchup, mayonnaise, etc. - I plan to replace them with products packaged in glass jar. I recently replaced my beloved Skippy with Laura Scudder's Old Fashioned Peanut Butter. Although it's not as smooth and creamy as Skippy and other plastic-packaged peanut butters (it's a little gritty). it still tastes good and it's healthier, too. And hey, it was kinda fun stirring the oil back into the peanut butter!

The only downside is the cost...at some grocery stores, Laura Scudder's can be one to two dollars more than Skippy. I was fortunate enough to find mine for about $2.65...gotta love Super Walmart!

In general, items packaged in glass jars may always be more expensive than their plastic counterparts. It's up to you to decide what's more important to you - cost or the environment.

My next feat? A glass jar of honey for a decent price! Stay tuned...

2 comments:

  1. After a while, I think the "natural" nut butters actually taste better and when I eat the mainstream brands (with hydrogenated oils and HFCS), I realize I don't like them as much as I thought I did.

    Tip, if you store the jar upside down for a while, it makes it easier to stir in the oil. :)

    As for mayo - Trader Joes is the only brand I really like nowadays... the TJ's brand organic mayo is pretty tasty and its a smaller jar, which I like since we don't go through it all that quickly. And, its a glass jar. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. did you know you can make your own peanut butter AND almond butter at WINCO? there's a machine in the bulk food section. you can also get honey there as well.

    the downside is that they only have plastic containers available, but i'm sure you can bring your own glass containers. you'd just have to talk to them first, as they charge by weight and glass is heavy.

    this weekend i tried both the peanut butter and honey and they are yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete