Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Budget-Friendly Mother's Day Gifts

Mother's Day is on May 9th, and television commercials and print advertisements are heavily focused on the holiday this week. These ads and commercials would trick you into believing that you should buy your mom/grandmother/etc. expensive jewelry, overpriced bouquets of flowers, or pricey tech gadgets like mp3 players or digital cameras. But frankly, Mother's Day gifts don't have to be terribly expensive. In fact, why not try some of these Unique Mother's Day gift ideas from the dollar store, courtesy of Wallet Pop (www.walletpop.com).

My son and I actually bought our Mother's Day gifts at Dollar Tree. We found two cute wooden bird houses at the dollar store and painted and decorated them with supplies we found in the same aisle. We also decorated a cute little tote with foam shapes and filled with puzzle books (word search, crossword, sudoku) and pencils - all from the dollar store. I'm sure my mom and grandma will love these gifts!

Don't be shy about taking this approach. Most mother's would rather receive a thoughtful, semi-homemade gift instead of an expensive gift with no meaning behind it. It's the thought that counts, right?

What did you get your mother/grandmother/etc. for Mother's Day?

4 comments:

  1. Last year I was unemployed and very budget conscious, so I used some of the Aveda Pure Privilege rewards points that I had saved up to get my mom a $50 gift certificate to the salon where she gets her hair done. I packaged the gift certificate with some Aveda lotions that I had received as a free gift at the store. It was a nice present that didn't cost me anything, and she loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I build Mother's Day into my budget...so it wasn't really splurging for me to have Edible Arrangements send my mother 2 dozens of white and milk chocolate dipped strawberries that look like roses. It's a once and a year thing that I do for her since the first time 3 years ago when I realized how much she absolutely loved getting the different fruit arrangements. I always write a nice gift note to go with it and it's great to be able to make my mom's day when I live 8 hours away and cannot be there to share it with her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments, ladies.

    Andrea - what a great idea to save reward points for your mom instead of using them on yourself!

    Dems - it's nice that you can put mother's day into your budget, but for those who cannot, the dollar store or free gifts may be the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're always so creative Mydria! Triniti has been made "aware" of mother's day by her teachers and is asking me what "gift" she can give me. I also cannot come up with a gift for my grandmother whom I usually honor on Mother's Day too so I think what I'll do is head to the dollar store and check it out! Perfect.

    ReplyDelete