Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Real or Fake? The Christmas Tree Debate

I'm sure many of you went back and forth about what type of Christmas tree to get this season - real or fake? While there are pros and cons to both, the most eco-friendly choice to get a real Christmas tree from a tree farm.

According to the National Christmas Tree Association - a group that provides a great comparison chart on their website - real Christmas trees are the best option because they are:

  • Grown in the US
  • 100% biodegradable
  • Carbon Neutral
  • Lead and Plastic Free
I've been trying really hard to be eco-friendly, but this year I committed Christmas tree-son (treason) and bought a fake Christmas tree. In my defense, "a one-time purchase of an artificial tree can save gas otherwise used for annual trips to the local tree farm." (Robert Lilienfeld, co-author of Use Less Stuff: Environmental Solutions for Who We Really Are) The tree is also reusable and the lights are LED lights.




I also believe I made the most sustainable choice, given my situation. Sustainability isn't only about being eco-friendly or green. It also takes people, culture, and economics into consideration. As a single mom with limited financial resources, the $35 pre-lit 6 ft. tree I bought at Walmart totally fit my budget. A real tree of the same size would have cost more than that! I also saved time and money by not having to rent a truck and ropes to transport the tree (or having to schedule time with friends to help me). I also avoided the frustration of having to string lights on the tree. My tree is easy to transport, store and assemble, which is more important to me. And just look at the smile on my son's face...that's all the justification I need! :)


 Which type of Christmas tree did you get this year? Is it eco-friendly and/or sustainable?

No comments:

Post a Comment