Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Save Time With Smoothies!

Need a quick breakfast solution that gets you out of the door on time in the morning? Try smoothies for breakfast!

I've become a smoothie addict lately, but I've found they are the perfect option for breakfast on the go. My favorite is a strawberry oatmeal smoothie. I know it sounds a little weird to have oatmeal in a smoothie, but it's actually quite delicious. Here's the recipe (I guessed on the measurements):

Strawberry Oatmeal Smoothie
1/3 cup of oatmeal
About 10 frozen strawberries
3/4 cups of soy milk*
About a tablespoon of honey

Directions - Place the oatmeal in the blender first and pulverize until it's almost powder-like. Then, add the rest of the ingredients and blend to your desired consistency, adding more soy milk if needed. For an added flavor, you can add a bit of Hershey's chocolate syrup.

* Some people use vanilla soy milk instead of regular to avoid adding extra sugar/honey. I tried this and found that it didn't make much of a difference.

Not only is this recipe quick and easy, but it's healthy too. Your children will also love it (unless they are in a "I don't like Mommy's smoothies" stage, like my son is right now). Enjoy!

Please comment with your favorite smoothie recipe or quick breakfast solution!

3 comments:

  1. yummy! I've not used oatmeal or any grains in a smoothie before but I will have to try this, thanks! We love smoothies!

    I usually do frozen fruit, juice and vanilla yogurt and try to sneak in ground up nuts (almond meal) or seeds (ground flax or pumpkin seeds)- dairy+nuts/seeds=complete protein. I never record the actual measurements though, so no "real" recipe.

    Sometimes we make protein shakes instead and they turn out much like a milkshake.. yum! Again, measurements are not exact!
    1/2 - 3/4 C cottage cheese
    1/2 C soy milk
    6ish ice cubes
    6-8 frozen strawberries
    1-2T heavy whipping cream
    chocolate powder or syrup (or if trying to cut back on sugar, unsweetened cocoa + a dash of stevia).
    Blend and enjoy!

    Smoothies are a super cheap breakfast or snack if you stock up when frozen berries/fruit is on sale! I have a friend who adds 1-2 handfuls of fresh spinach leaves into her smoothies. Not pretty looking, but super healthy and she swears you can't taste the spinach. She puts it in a travel mug with straw for her kids so they aren't turned off by the color, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment! I'll have to try adding protein by using ground up nuts. I'll also try that spinach idea...I'll try anything to get more nutrients in! :)

    The travel mug is a great idea, but my son doesn't like the seeds some of the berries have - blackberries and raspberries are a no no for our smoothies now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I added two whole spinach leaves to my smoothie this morning, and it was fantastic. I couldn't see or taste the spinach, and I knew I was getting an added boost of vitamins and minerals. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

    ReplyDelete